Thursday, March 21, 2013

The SLAW Formula



Standard Slaw Fixin's
I have this thing for slaw. I think of something to make for dinner, and then have to decide what will accompany it, many times it is shredded vegetables in some sort of dressing. I love slaw. It is so simple and sweet, tangy and tasty. I mix up tons of different things and call it slaw…but here is my basic formula:



Tablespoon or so of FAT:

Vegan Mayo

Olive Oil

Canola Oil…etc…

2 Tablespoons of VINEGAR:

I almost exclusively use Apple Cider, but

Balsamic

Red Wine

White, and

"Other Fancy Kinds" will be equally good

1-2 Tablespoons of SWEETENER:

Sugar

Brown Sugar

Agave

Brown Rice Syrup…etc…
I vary the amount depending on what swanky ingredients I choose to add; including raisins? Less sweetener for a more tangy dressing

SPICES:

I always add a little salt, pepper and garlic powder…Depending on what you are making you may be so inclined to add some mustard, chipotle, chili, coriander, or other complimentary spices.

The ROUGHAGE:
I am typically making Slaw in my 1.5-2 quart bowl. So I just kind of fill the bowl…

GREENS: The greens should account for approximately half of the roughage.

Cabbage

Lettuce (any kind)

Kale

Broccoli (Raw, cut in small pieces)

Brussels Sprouts (Typically lightly roasted/steamed)

Chard

PRETTY COLORS: Use as many or as few as you like, these should be split approximately equally and account for the other half of the roughage

Purple Cabbage

Carrots

Sweet Peppers

Green Onion

Red Onion
FANCIES:

These items are optional, but their inclusion will bring your slaw to a whole new level. I add enough to make them noticeable and visible; somewhere around half a cup each.

Nuts (Rough Chop)

Raisins

Seeds

Other Dried Fruits
Fresh Fruits (Grapes?)

Herbs

DIRECTIONS:

I usually mix the dressing in the bottom of whatever bowl I will be using, just toss it all in and whisk. Taste it, play with the spices.

Chop all of your vegetables, I like things a little more rustic than most. I say rustic, I mean I’m kind of lazy. Mix the roughage and the dressing, add the fancies and mix lightly. I hate when all of the small nuts and seeds sink to the bottom.

Here are some slaw photos…ENJOY!

Standard Slaw: Cabbage, Carrots

Standard Slaw with BBQ Soy Curls


Chipotle Chili Slaw with BBQ Mushroom Gluten Patty and Broccoli

Standard Slaw

Standard Slaw Fixin's

Cilantro Lime Slaw

Waldorf Slaw with Sweet Chili Lime BBQed Tofu and Avocado

Cilantro Lime Slaw Fixin's, my foot and a rogue carrot peel

Cilantro Lime Slaw on a Taco Salad of Spiced Lentils and Kidney Beans

Cilantro Lime Slaw in a Taco!

Cilantro Lime Lettuce Slaw atop Enchilada Casserole

Summer Kale Slaw

Roasted Brussels Sprout Slaw

Broccoli Slaw

Standard Slaw on an Open-Faced BBQ Soy Curl Sandwich

Kale Slaw with Homemade Seitan

Roasted Sprout Slaw

No comments:

Post a Comment