Monday, January 14, 2013

This Is How I Activate


Many folks who know me would have never guessed in a million years that I would be sitting here writing to you as a vegan. Not just “vegan” being someone who abstains from ingesting any foods made of animals or animal byproducts, but a full-fledged, non-leather buying, synthetic material wearing, cosmetic scrutinizing, compassion practicing, anti-speciesist,  human being. Hell, ask me the same question a year ago and I probably would have said the same thing.

I came across a quote last week:

You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will every need.

                                --Sara Teasdale

When I read that, everything I have been doing and developing was put in this perfect little word nugget, and I am excited that I found it. I learned something about myself in that instant.

I have been vegan for less than a year. I’ll tell you, it feels like longer…but then I listen to people tell me stories about 5 years ago…10 years ago…15 years ago…20 years ago…and I feel like less, like I haven’t done enough, like I will never do enough. There is some truth to all of that. I know I cannot devote all of my time to fighting for the rights of animals and the health of our planet.

In addition to being a member of mainstream America…I am not an anarchist, I do not go directly against the grain. I prefer to redirect people, give them new information and help them formulate new opinions. I feel very little can be accomplished by arguing, through violence, and other forms of disobedience. It is not in my nature to break rules; I’d rather change them.

So , how can I be an activist? I don’t know the answer to the question…but here is what I have going on right now…

In the name of my employer…The (vegan) Caterer…We are hosting a benefit for Green Acres Farm Sanctuary. This sanctuary has been around for 5 years, and just in the past year and a half became a qualified non-profit. The husband and wife team host dozens of rescued animals who live permanently, as well as fostering puppies and dogs from a nearby no-kill shelter. We are so excited to be able to help create awareness for this amazing organization which is doing all it can to save animals from needlessly being exploited and murdered.

In addition to benefiting a great organization the purpose of this benefit is to bring together as many people from the community as possible in support of a common goal. To listen to respected community member and business owner Tim Hitchins discuss the importance of building a strong foundation of businesses, organizations and individuals to drive the movement forward and into a positive light. So far we have tid-bits of information, but I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what the rest of the talk has in store.

As I have begun coordinating this benefit I have become overwhelmed by the community’s response. I have yet to be turned down by any business for product donations for our raffle. Every raffle prize will come from a vegan business from around the northwest! It is an amazing feeling to pour your heart and soul into something and have the response of people be exactly everything you ever hoped and imagined it could be.

As someone who can without a doubt still count my vegan and vegetarian friends on one hand it is an incredible experience. This benefit is like my sweet 16 of veganism…my coming out party…I’m here to help, support and give whatever I can so we can all work toward our common goal.

In all my success collecting prizes and support from local businesses, I hope that we are successful in recruiting individuals to join us for the event. The ticket holders, the people who want to support this amazing organization, and be a part of the foundation of the community. On paper it is a sure thing…but we need people to come celebrate the love in their own lives with a group of people who share interests and concerns for the welfare of the planet’s many creatures.

I personally invite you to attend our benefit this Valentine’s Day, February 14 at 7pm. Please bring dates, friends, acquaintances, and anyone who may be curious about veganism. It is a great opportunity to show non-subscribers all of the benefits of being a part of something so amazing; something that has changed my life in a very short time, and would no doubt contribute to their quality of life.

Click HERE to purchase tickets!

For more information please visit The (vegan) Caterer

No comments:

Post a Comment