Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lasagna - Spinach, Mushroom, Sausage.



OK! I am finally taking a minute to write down a recipe from Christmas. I don’t really have time to do it…and I am feeling guilty for all of the other things I should be doing, but I feel the same way about not posting here. This recipe has many components…it is definitely one I plan ahead for and make pieces, in advance.

This also makes a HUGE lasagna…so bear that in mind. I suggest making a few reasonably sized lasagnas…and freezing or sharing…I love sharing.

For many people Lasagna is an indulgence, this recipe is nearly guilt free…A bit on the carbs, with the noodles, but you know what…? Just make it with zucchini noodles or something. I can’t tell you how many times I ate this for breakfast. To any non-vegan folks who are reading this…it is a great way to get the same flavor without all of the crazy fat that dairy cheese and animal proteins add. Let me make you a lot healthier…GO VEGAN.

Part One:

Make a batch of my MARINARA

Part Two:

Cashew Ricotta

I stole the basis for this out of VEGANOMICON, but in my true fashion I changed it, because that is what I do.

1 Cup Raw Cashews

½ Cup Lemon Juice

¼ Olive Oil

6 Cloves Roasted Garlic (About half a head squished out into the processor)

1 Block ‘o’ Tofu (Crumbled)

3 Teaspoons Basil (Dried)

2/3 Cup Nutritional Yeast

Salt

Blend everything but tofu and spices in a food processor (SANTA BROUGHT ME ONE!!!! So I can say this now.)
 

Add tofu and spices. Blend…Mixture should be thick and mostly smooth. You do want some texture from the cashews!

Part Three:

Building

One Recipe Marinara

One Recipe Cashew Ricotta

1.5 boxes boiled lasagna noodles (Or however many you need to fit your pan with 3 or 4 layers) Lay flat when finished; dry, flat, cooked noodles make a better lasagna

8-10 Larger Mushrooms Cut, not too small though!

4-5 Cups Spinach

1 Package  Tofurky Italian Sausage (cut into chunks)

1-2 Medium Sized Tomatoes sliced (Not ‘necessary’, but I love the way it looks)

Cover the bottom of your pan with a thin layer of sauce, and layer noodles

Cover noodles with sauce. Layer ½ of the mushrooms, ½ of the sausages, and ½ of the spinach over the saucy noodles. Spoon in 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and 1/3 of the cashew ricotta.
WOAH! That is blurry...Sorry Folks.

Layer with noodles again, repeat step above.


Layer final noodles. Evenly spread remaining sauce over the final layer of noodles. Add even dollops of remaining cashew ricotta and top with tomato slices. A sprinkle of something green would probably go a long way here. (My family is averse to green things generally…so I saved a small headache and skipped it)
Pre-Oven
 
Bake at covered at 375 for a 45 minutes. You want the sauce to be bubbling and the edge noodles to be crisp! Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
Resting before consumption. See the crisp edges, and the cashew ricotta gets a little brown...Mmm...


VERY IMPORTANT: Take it out of the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes. (Less if your lasagna is smaller) This will give it time to cool and tighten up. Then you won’t have sloppy, disassembled lasagna…and you can take pictures of it and post it to IG. Also, less chance you will burn your mouth. Use this time to make a salad or set the table.


This is one of the few times I have ever made lasagna in my life. It is so easy, but time consuming. I have to say, this is one of the best tasting things I have ever made. The mushrooms are key. It is very important to not “over sausage” (hehe) the lasagna…let the vegetables do the work.

Ok.  Go forth and make White Girl Italian Food.

No comments:

Post a Comment