Thursday, December 13, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash and Toasted Hazelnut Soup

I bought a butternut squash to make some mac and cheeze...I had a little over half of one left, so I decided to make some soup with it. It is fairly simple, and I typically have all of the ingredients on hand...except the squash, so it is a great way to use up what you've got...because this recipe will freeze and reheat well.

I'm feeling overly tired today because I stayed up late making a ton of random foods for myself and friends...I hope everyone who reads this knows that if they showed up on my doorstep hungry, or not hungry I would feed you. I love cooking for people. I also really enjoy sharing foods that I think are tasty...so if you ever want some food, call me and invite yourself over...

Ok, sooooo here goes on the soup-ness:

Roasting le squash (<--French for "the squash")
Pre-Roasted...

1/2 a butternut squash
Spray oil or cooking spray...
Salt and Pepper

Scoop out the guts, peal the outside...make sure you get all the way down to the orange...the once over with the peeler is not enough.

Cube it...I'd say 3/4 inch pieces...Spray a foil covered pan, add the cubed squash, spray the squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper...If you want your soup to be more spiced, sparingly add some pumpkin pie spice or a bit of cinnamon.

Roast at 350 for 15-20 minutes tossing halfway through....done when easily pierced with a fork.

The roasting can be done in advance. Store the pre-roasted in a container in the fridge; you know the drill.

Making le soup (<-- French for "the soup")

1/2 cubed and roasted butternut squash...if you forgot this you may have memory problems...
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
4 cups of broth or water with boullion...or just water if you are out of both
Cinnamon stick
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup hazelnuts (aka filberts!)

In a soup pot heat a couple TBL of oil over medium...add the carrots, celery, onion and cinnamon. Sautee until translucent. Probably 10 minutes. Use your eyes and your brain clock.

Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper as desired.

Add the broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.


Toast the hazelnuts in the oven on 300 for 5ish minutes...I just wait until I can smell them. Let them cool a bit, then run them through a food chopper. If you don't have a food chopper try to crush or chop them with a knife and just use as a garnish.




Add the squash and actually squash it with a potato masher while it simmers. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.




















If you are awesome and have an imersion blender...use it....if you suck like me put the soup in your blender, add the crushed nuts (hehe) and blend until smooth. The filberts won't become completely smooth...I like the texture, if you want soup-er smooth soup just add the nuts as a garnish.





Put your soup back in the pot and bring to a simmer for 10-ish minutes (or however long you are willing to wait) stir it as needed.

Put it in a bowl, sprinkle with crushed filberts and a dash of cinnamon. Then eat it.


It is pretty filling, but if you are searching for a higher protein content add some unflavored powder. Serve with cinnamon raisin toast or regular toast with margarine whipped with cinnamon...and drizzled with agave or sprinkled with sugar.

I just made this yesterday for the first time...so it probably isn't perfect...I'll let you know if I make updates, or let me know what changes you make to make it better...If you think it is perfect as is, you can let me know that too ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment