Monday, October 1, 2012

Best Emm Eff-ing Chili Ever...Cornbread Too


Any food…sandwich, salad, soup, burgers, stir fry…Doesn’t matter: same recipe, same ingredients, when someone else puts their love and spit into your food, it tastes better…That is unless it’s CHILI. I make the best chili. I never used a recipe, I just whipped ingredients together and taste tested with trial and error. It is probably the first combination of ingredients I “invented;” my first real recipe.

It is hard for me to put into a recipe what makes it so good…but as simply put as possible, it is…THE TASTE. It is a simple, spicy and good. So here you go people…Don’t say I never gave you anything.

Ingredients:
 


 

1-2 Bell Peppers

1 Tomato (extremely optional)

½ a large onion

Mushrooms (if you have some, I did…)
2-3 Cloves of Garlic (sub powdered if necessary or you feel like it)

Steak Seasoning

Chili Powder

Cumin

Sriracha or Ceyenne Pepper or a fresh Jalapeno or canned jalapeno (something spicy for crap’s sake)

24oz tomato sauce (or a reasonable mixture of tomato paste and water)

Cup or so Soy Curls (Pre-Hydration status)

2 cans of beans (Pinto, kidney, navy…you choose it’s your freaking chili. Do I have to do everything?!)

Brown Sugar

Instructions:

Cut stuff up while your pan gets hot; add a smidge of oil (medium heat)

Sautee onions, mushrooms and minced fresh garlic (if using powdered add with other spices) Make them sweat, if needed add a TBL of water to aid in the steaming sweaty process.

Add rehydrated soy curls

Add some chili powder…I’d say I use appx. 1.5 TBL to start.
Add powdered garlic to taste (if using), and a reasonable shake of cumin
Stir it up.
Add Bell peppers, Jalapeno (if using) and drained beans
Pour the large can of sauce and stir, add more if needed…should be slightly soupier than your intended final consistency.
Add the tomato (mostly it makes it look like you made your own tomato sauce, haha tricky.)
Smell it.
Determine if you think it has enough chili powder. I almost always decide HELL NO and add at least a tsp more.
Cover and let it simmer…While you make cornbread






 





CORNBREAD

I always make the recipe in the picture. I go full on vegan imitation ingredients…egg replacer and Earth Balance…It is not rustic. It is cake like and sweet…retardedly moist.
This piece of paper has traveled across the USA
 

I throw everything on the recipe in a bowl. (I don’t mix the wet and dry ingredients separately. Just toss them in a large bowl.)
 

Stir the chili

I added a cup or so of frozen sweet corn too, b/c I felt like it.

**Secret ingredient: Heaping tablespoon of brown sugar. I like when it is sort of clumpy b/c it creates delicious pockets of sweetness in the cornbread, so don’t worry about whisking it up too much.

Grease a pan of your choice. Here I chose my tiny loaf pan, often I make muffins, or I have a “Bakers Edge” pan, or I’ll kick it old school with a 9x9…there are so many options…variety is, after all, the spice of life…live a little.

Put the pan in the pre-heated oven.
 
ADD THE BROWN SUGAR TO THE CHILI!
Stir the chili

Bake until toothpick comes out clean. Edges should start to brown up and look irresistible, that is pretty much how I know they are done

The chili should be pretty well simmered and have thickened up a bit. If not to your liking/expectation, add a bit of flour or cornstarch and bring it up to a boil to thicken. If you are like me and kind of don’t care because it is Tuesday night and you just rode your bike for an hour home and are too hungry to wait, then ignore this suggestion.

My favorite way to eat chili and cornbread is to split the cornbread in the bottom of the bowl, schmere some butter **on it, add a few drips of agave and top with chili. The cornbread gets all melty and soaked with sweetness and the tasty goodness of the spicy chili…gahhhh…drooooollllll…..

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. As always, DON’T BURN YOUR MOUTH.
CORNBREAD
 
Yep...This is real.
 

**Vegan Buttery Spread…duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment