Sunday, September 23, 2012

It's Basically Winter

So...Summer is officially over...

I just realized this last week when I was at the Milwaukie Farmers' Market...There were fewer people, I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, and there weren't as many fresh berries! I had a minor internal spaz attack...

"WHAT AM I GOING TO DO FOR SMOOTHIES? HOW WILL I GET MY FRUITY-TUTY DELICIOUS SUGAR FIXES?!?!?! I DON'T WANT BERRIES FROM SOUTH AMERICA OR WHEREVER THE FUCK WINTER TIME FRUITS COME FROM. HELP. HELP. HELP!!! WHO CAN SOLVE THIS!?!?!"


Not Enough...
Quickly I stopped acting like a moron and thought, "Oh hey self, why don't you get some of the last of the fresh Oregon fruits and turn them into frozen Oregon fruits?!" So I did. I grabbed a half flat of mixed berries and froze them!

Side-by-sides are dumb
I was afraid of them turning into a giant lump of frozen deliciousness...So I devised what I consider to be a genius plan...

I covered my stackable cooling racks with foil and layered the berries. I let them sit overnight and put them in zip-top bags. When I was done, I only had about 4 bags of berries. Considering I can eat half a flat in a week by myself, I decided I would definitely need more.

I got a flat and a half of mostly blackberries, some raspberries and a lot of blues. They are currently taking up space in the auxiliary freezer I have in my garage. I only plug it in once in a while when I need extra storage (aka making raw vegan cheesecakes) I covered 8 cookie sheets with foil (My mom said wax paper works great too, but I didn't have any.) and berries. I realize I will have to ration them, but I've set my mind at ease knowing they are there.

I also got some peaches and nectarines. I will blanch them to remove the peels and then slice them for freezing as well. Anyway...I just thought you should know. If you invite me over for a delicious meal in the middle of December I may just make a tasty berry cobbler to share.





No comments:

Post a Comment