Wednesday, August 15, 2012

SLACKER!


Soooo, originally this was supposed to be a blog about running and food and whatnot…after a few weeks it seems to be more about food and whatnot, than it is about running. Hmm, maybe that is because I haven’t run since my half marathon in June. I am signed up for one over labor day, but that shit just ain’t gonna happen…And I’ll tell you why…I’m fucking busy.

It is already the third week of August and I don’t even have my August training calendar up in my cube. I have not been to the gym since 1 week before my June half. It is kind of crazy. Recently I have something going on every night after work that goes until around 9pm, leaving me little time for anything else…This may sound like a buttload of complaining, but it is not. I am psyched!!

During the week the 8+ hours of work and hour of commuting really get in the way of the fun things I would actually like to do, so what ends up happening is I cram a bunch of stuff into the weekends. Sailing, hanging out with friends, laundry, cooking, cleaning, seeing my family, (who I barely recognize any more)…most weekdays I have to be packed and have thought ahead to 2-3 days in advance. To give you an idea of what seems to be a pattern of insanity here is what my week was last week:

Sunday: Sailing and swimming at Vancouver Lake, Sunday dinner with friends

Monday: Work, recruiter meeting, and prepare for the next 3 days.

Tuesday: Drop off car and bike to work, work, sail, and assist with food prep for event…sleep…?
I love my bike!!

Wednesday: Event prep, execution and clean-up…sleep…?

Thursday: Work and sail.

Friday: Work and sail, dinner with my brother, maybe lay down…?

Saturday: Make 175 sandwiches with the help of my lovely sister. Deliver them.
Mmm, Sangwiches...




Last week was insane. This week is similar:

Go on a 4+ mile hike, swim, Sunday dinner with friends, and prepare for the following week.
View West
View East


My sister and me at the top of Angel's Rest...It was bright.

Monday: Drop off car and bike to work, work, bike back to my car, attend Yacht Club Meeting

Tuesday: Work and sail

Wednesday: Bike to work, bike to lunch meeting, bike back to work, work, bike home, pick-up dad from airport
36 Miles on a 97 Degree Day...Fucking Rad.


Thursday: Work and sail

Friday: Bike to work, work, bike home…Relax? OR Take the day off work and go camping for one night.

Saturday: Return from camping, and attend Family beach weekend

Sunday: Beach, drive home, and prepare for the following week.

This shit never ends. I’m fucking tired. It is amazing! After living in Chicago for 2 years and doing virtually nothing but work, eat, watch TV, and hang out, having all of my time filled with tons of activities is incredible. I am making up for all of that time I wasted. I have experienced more of my hometown in the past 3 months than I did in pretty much my entire life up to this point. (This is mostly because in my younger life I was always playing softball/track/cross country/cheerleading on weekends and evenings.)

I am barely at my house. The majority of time I spend there is asleep, and that is typically for 5-6 hours. Somewhere in the mix of things I am supposed to eat and shower <-- I always make time for those things. MUY IMPORTANTE.

This [sort of] brings me back to my original point. I need to get back to pounding pavement and banging weights. I look ok, I am relatively strong, but I definitely should be farther along with my overall physical fitness, and I should be prepared to run a half in 2 weeks…What I will lack in goal accomplishment I have made up for 10 fold by doing everything else. Yeah, having a ton of red Xs and low percentages showing on my calendars makes me feel shitty, but whatever; I’m happy.

When summer series for sailing is over I’ll get back to it. I will run in Run Like Hell in October. I convinced some friends to do it too. So in the near future I will revise my training calendars so they are tailored to that event. I still need to run a half in 1:45 before the end of 2012.

I bought a Cyclocross bike in June and have used it less than I intended…but I’ve ridden to work, and around town a fair amount. I signed up for a clinic to learn how to race. I registered with the appropriate governing body and will try to knock some bitches out for a few weeks in the fall. I want to get into Crossfit too. I suffer from a condition where I want to be super badass all of the time, and I just feel like Crossfit would really contribute to my overall health and well being as well as satisfy my need for ever increasing badass-edness. It will make me stronger, faster and more explosive; all things that will help me with my Cross-ventures and in my half marathons.

I have this fantasy that as soon as weekday sailing is over I will have all of this time to just chill…the reality is I have already filled that space. I seem to not be able to sit still. If I tell myself to take a rest I get anxious that nothing is getting done. I already have goal ideas for next year…

The moral of the story here, I suppose, is even when you make goals things change. You commit to other ventures and your life will have to be slightly reorganized. I do feel shitty about missing out on the half over Labor Day, not running for the entire summer, and all of those damned red Xs…but I did so many things to offset it. I wasn’t sitting on the couch eating Oreos and Chips…I hiked, swam, rode my bike, sailed like a muthuh-fuggin fool, cooked food, became a legit catering assistant, started a blog, wrote a ton of recipes, coordinated 2 events of 120+ people, and probably a bunch of stuff I am forgetting…This has been the best summer since the one after I graduated college where I had no job and just goofed off for 3 months before I entered the “real” world.

So maybe I should have run. Maybe I should have gone to the gym…but I didn’t…what’s a girl to do…? (ANSWER: See extensive list above)

No comments:

Post a Comment