Thursday, August 30, 2012

No Excuses.

There is a difference between “Not Having Time” and “Not Taking the Time.”
If you listen to most people talk about their day it starts with an hour morning routine, going to work for 8-10 hours, we’ll assume an hour roundtrip commute, making/cleaning-up dinner about an hour, and pre sleep preparations 20-30 minutes. Because pretty much no one I know gets enough sleep we’ll say there are 18 waking hours, and 6 conked. I counted 13.5 hours of activity, Monday through Friday, already dedicated to the rough outline that is your life. So what do you do with the other 4.5 hours?

Commmmmmuuuuuuute...Its part of life...
I can tell that you are trying to figure out where you whittle away that seemingly huge volume of time. What I’m getting at here is: if you feel as though all you do is work and sleep we need to figure out where you are wasting your time, and what things you should do instead.
List of things I’m guessing you are doing:
Watching TV
Sitting on the couch
Oversleeping
Reading whatever lame book they are about to turn into a movie
Snacking
Taking naps
Complaining
Thinking about all of the stuff you should be doing instead of actually doing them
List of activities I suggest you engage in:
Simple, Good.
Cooking dinner
Making lunch for the following day
Pre-cutting fruit and vegetables
Meal planning
Cleaning the kitchen
Doing laundry
Engaging in vigorous physical activity
Engaging in moderate physical activity
Not sitting
Reading a book that will teach you something and contribute to your development as a well rounded individual
Making contact with humans: Family, Friends, What have you…
Grocery Shopping
Cleaning other common areas of your home

Who doesn't like fresh cut fruit?
 
I do realize that I am unmarried, unattached, and childless…however, these are all things you can do with your family…If your kids have sports in the afternoons and evenings spend the time they are with their team jogging around the track or running errands that take an equal amount of time. Reduce the number of trips you take from your house by combining activities.  If it is cleaning, get your kids involved. Weirdly, as a kid I remember always wanting to help my mom when she was dusting and mopping…Maybe it is because it meant I got to build a sweet chair fort…maybe it is because I was the perfect child (Mmmm…yeahhhh…No) either way, like my older sister always says, “Time to lean, time to clean.”
CLEAN.
First and foremost I keep running to-do and grocery lists on my phone. (I try to keep as many reminders as possible on my phone b/c it is the one thing I ALWAYS have with me.) If I find myself with nothing to do and energy to perform a task I just pull up the note and get to work. Many times I intend to just tidy up the kitchen area, but then I reverse Tasmanian-Devil that shit into a sparkling display of domestic perfection.
I had a bout of this the other day…I bike commuted to work and back, went to look at a 1987 Suzuki Samurai (not that great), hit up Costco for cheap raw almonds, tofu and local watermelon, stopped in at Fred Meyer for bananas, cantaloupe, and almond milk, did 5 loads of laundry, cut the melons, made fajitas for dinner, gutted and cleaned the entire fridge, cleaned the entire kitchen top to bottom and since I was nasty sweaty from my rides and deep cleaning I took a shower during which I cleaned the tub and surround followed by the counter and mirror. Yeah, I didn’t clean the toilet, and I didn’t wash the bathroom floor…but it was closing in on 2am and I figured I better get at least 4 hours of sleep.
Much Better...I can see stuff!
You may look at that and think…her to-do list is probably pretty well clear…think again. I still have donations to take to good will, dusting and vacuuming the rest of the house, trimming the hedges in the front yard, wash the truck, return my sisters camping stuff…that list is making for a boring read…moving on…

The reality is that my to-do list is a lot shorter than the list of things I have completed. I have never tried this, but the logic of it seems solid. Make 2 lists, TO-Do and DONE. Post them next to each other in your house. Instead of crossing things off move them from TO-Do to DONE and see what you have accomplished. Some items will require repetition, (cleaning, groceries, etc…) but I think having a visual aid spotlighting the things that have been accomplished would be extremely helpful. If you have a family or live with multiple people this could be a great method for running a household. Instead of asking or assigning chores just list what needs to be done and your kids/spouse/roomies can complete a task and then move it to the DONE list. Again, I have no kids or spouse, but I feel like this is a sufficiently passive-aggressive, logically awesome way to “get shit did.” Thank me if it works. If it is a colossal failure, blame yourself for taking the advice of someone with no credentials. But again, if it works…you’re welcome.
The reasons you never do anything…
I’m tired
I’m too fat
I just worked all day
I don’t have time
But my kids have A, B, and C
I’m hungover
I _____ed yesterday
My husband/wife/boyfriend/kid/friend/other personality doesn’t like A, B, or C
My show is on at blank o’clock and I just can’t miss it
All of these are bullshit excuses for continuing to be the lack luster human being society has coaxed you into becoming. Rebel against this learned behavior and discipline yourself into becoming better.
Anyway, the point is: get off your ass. Stop watching fake characters do stupid shit on TV and go out and do it yourself. If you want something bad enough you will work your ass off to get it. Why do you think that cookie is in your hand? ‘Cause you wanted it muthuh fugguh! Spend the time you have away from work preparing and creating a good environment for yourself to live in. “They” say there are 2 types of people in the world: those who ask what can be done, and those who jump in and do it. DO IT. I doubt you spent childhood dreaming of your future as a fat-assed, lazy piece.* Quit being so American and just handle your ‘Bid-ness’. No one is going to wipe your ass for you (unless you pay them.) Take the time to become whatever it is you want to be.
NO EXCUSES
*Piece of Shit

No comments:

Post a Comment